Position Available — Managing Designer
Annick Press is seeking a Managing Designer for its innovative program of quality books for children and youth. The Managing Designer will be an integral part of the design team for Annick’s books and materials, ensure that design and artwork are delivered in a timely manner, contribute suggestions for illustrators and provide creative input, conceptualize and execute ideas, and design a number of titles. This role will entail working directly with the design, editorial, and production staff, and will report to the Editorial Director.
● working closely with the Art Director and Managing Editor to monitor the stages of design and maintain schedules;
● actively working with the Managing Editor to initiate, improve, and implement new processes to facilitate communication and workflow with the creative team;
● creating and/or managing the design of top-quality, commercial designs for approximately ten titles per year, including hardcovers, paperbacks, and ebooks for formats including picture books, middle grade and young adult books, illustrated non-fiction, and other illustrated titles;
● helping to identify, select, and liaise with illustrators, artists, and photographers along with the Art Director. This includes reviewing artists and their portfolios and commissioning original art;
● facilitating cover and interior content meetings and working closely with the editor on each project;
● working closely with the Production department to manage schedules and create technically superior files;
● reviewing color correction, proofs, and special effects, and working on best practices for quality assurance of ebooks in cooperation with the Production department; and
● overseeing the work of freelance designers for some projects and ensuring consistency in the preparation of files for print, as well as compliance with Annick style and design guides.
The ideal candidate:
● has 3+ years of previous design experience in book publishing
● must be comfortable in and enjoy working in a highly collaborative work environment
● has a knowledge of the children’s book market, a passion for children’s books, and a passion for innovative, creative thinking
● has a strong awareness of new art trends, artists, and illustrators
● has demonstrated typesetting and design skills, an excellent understanding of design programs, and proficiency in InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and other desktop publishing packages
● has knowledge of production as it relates to design, including knowledge of in-house proofing, color printing, and ebook formats in the children’s marketplace
● has the skills to manage and organize with an ability to prioritize under tight deadlines
● has excellent communication skills
● has a willingness to be flexible in developing new roles and workflow
Applications are encouraged from equity-seeking, marginalized, and underrepresented groups. Annick Press is committed to providing accommodations in all parts of the hiring process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs. Full COVID vaccination is a requirement. Salary and benefits will be commensurate with your experience, in the range of $55,000 to $65,000.
Please submit your applications to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, March 11, 2022. Please note that while we appreciate the interest of all applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.