10 Rivers That Shaped the World Share this with a friend
The World of Tens series
Green Book Festival Award, Second Place Best Books for Kids & Teens, Canadian Children’s Book Centre Silver Birch Award nomination, Ontario Library Association
Navigate the fascinating twists and turns of rivers that have molded our history.
Rivers can be extraordinarily powerful, and not just because of their fast-flowing currents. They can make civilizations rise or crumble, divide cultures or link them together, and even provide crucial clues to where we came from.
Dive into these 10 surprising stories about the power of rivers through the ages, including:
• How the “lucky accident” of the Nile’s unique flooding patterns allowed the culture of Ancient Egypt to flourish in one of the hottest, driest places on earth;
• How medieval robber barons seized—then lost—control of the Rhine;
• Why the Amazon helped scientists discover how species evolve;
• How Livingstone's ill-fated exploration of the Zambezi changed Africa forever;
• Why you can trace just about every hit song back to the Mississippi River;
• How the massive Three Gorges Dam displaced over one million Chinese in the Yangtze River Valley;
• Why people in India have gathered to bathe in the Ganges for thousands of years;
• The crucial roles of the Awash, the Thames, and the Tigris and Euphrates rivers in human history.
Compelling storytelling, striking original art, and colorful photos take readers on a unique journey across time and place.
“… accessible and lively … A well-turned, involving introduction …”
—Kirkus Reviews, 04/29/15
“An accomplished, well researched volume … a must have in school and public libraries.”
—CM Reviews, 09/11/15
“With a colorful, engaging layout and a unique approach to its topic, this approachable title is a solid entry point to both geography and world history.”
“With a nice balance between the big picture and the personal, this book provides an intriguing look at how the natural world influences human history.”
—National Reading Campaign, 09/11/15
“… well-researched title provides fascinating information …”
—Resource Links, 10/15
“… compelling and memorable … The design is striking, while also being entertaining and very accessible … a terrific resource …”
—Sal’s Fiction Addiction, 06/14/15
“… a brilliant way to teach middle readers and keep them engaged in nonfiction.”
—Smart Books for Smart Kids, 02/26/15
“As a resource book, students in 4-7th grade will find this very useful.”
—Reading, Writing and So Much More, 11/12/15